This Halloween celebrate with holiday-themed activities, guaranteed to make pint-sized witches and goblins scream with delight!
Grow a Magical Halloween Pumpkin Patch
With a few “candy corn seeds” and patch of fresh dirt, kids can “grow” a magical Halloween pumpkin patch right in the backyard. Cast a sweet spell, then plant a handful of magical seeds in an empty flowerbed and in a few days real pumpkins will appear! The secret ingredient: the magical touch of mommy and daddy or grandma and grandpa.
- A handful of candy corns
- A small, empty patch of dirt in the front or backyard
- Three or more fresh pumpkins
- Watering can
What to Do:
- Choose a patch of dirt in the front or backyard to plant the “seeds” and grow the pumpkins.
- Help kids dig a few a small holes in the dirt for the “seeds” One hole, for every pumpkin they want to grow.
- Put the “candy corn seeds” in the holes and cover with dirt.
- Cast a magical pumpkin growth spell! “Hocus Pocus Pumpkins grow. Big pumpkins, Small pumpkins. Sprout from these sweet candy corn seeds Poof!”
- Have kids water the dirt once a day.
- Within three to seven days, “sprout” the pumpkins. Once ready for the magical pumpkins to appear, go to the store, buy the desired number of fresh pumpkins, and place them in the spots where the candy corn seeds were planted while the kids sleep.
- Tell kids to go water the magical Halloween pumpkin patch. They will be delighted to discover that real pumpkins have appeared!
Touch and Feel Silly Monster Buffet
Halloween wouldn’t be complete without a monster of a feast. Serve up a touch and feel silly monster buffet for kids and their friends. This Halloween activity will elicit squeals and giggles as they touch and feel silly monster parts that can be found in mom’s kitchen, and try and guess what each one really is. Silly monster teeth, silly monster eyeballs and silly monster fur are just a few of the delectable treats on this Halloween menu!
- Paper bowls
- Wet wipes
- Blindfold (One for each participant)
- Half a package of cooked spaghetti
- Six hard boiled egg yolks
- One package of Jello, prepared
- One package of cotton candy
- Small package of raw mini carrots
- One package of candy corn
- ½ cup V-8 Juice
- ¼ peanut butter
What to Do:
- Prepare the touch and feel silly monster buffet. Put the cooked spaghetti into a paper bowl. Repeat with each food item.
- Arrange and/or decorate the touch and feel silly monster buffet table.
- Blindfold the kids who will be participating in the activity. Be sure they don’t see the buffet table beforehand. To keep the “entrees” secret, cover each individual bowl with a paper towel.
- Position kids in a single line in front of the buffet table.
- Bring out the first entrée. Pass around the bowl of cooked spaghetti and have each preschooler kid feel it. As the bowl is passed around, tell the children they’re touching silly monster brains.
- The hard boiled egg yolks, also known as silly monster eyeballs, are next. Give each kid a turn to feel the yolks.
- Repeat step five, and serve the third dish on the menu, Jello, also known as silly monster slime.
- The next course is silly monster fur or cotton candy.
- Pass around the bowl of raw carrots so the children can touch and feel stubby silly monster fingers and toes.
- What do silly monster teeth feel like? Pass around the bowl of candy corn and let each kid find out.
- Silly monster spit is next. Instruct each child to stick a finger in the V-8 juice.
- Last but not least, serve up some silly monster ear wax. Give each kid a turn sticking his/her fingers into the bowl of peanut butter.
- At the end of the last course, pass around wet wipes to the children for easy cleanup of hands.
- Now that the touch and feel part of the silly monster buffet is complete, play a quick guessing game before the blindfolds are removed. See if any of the kids can figure out what food was actually in each bowl.
- It’s time to see for themselves. Instruct kids to remove their blindfolds and have a look, and maybe another feel, at each silly monster buffet item. As they look at the foods, remind them what silly monster part each food was supposed to be.
- If they want, let the kids have a taste of the silly monster buffet treats.