Halloween parties are popular events for kids and grownups, especially when guests are asked to wear a costume. Adults invited to a Halloween party may dread the idea of coming up with a costume – and the cost – but costumes don’t have to be difficult or expensive. Classic TV shows supply very good Halloween costume ideas for singles and couples. Choose from the hundreds of favorite television characters from the sixties or seventies (or later).
Halloween Costume Ideas for Grown-Ups
The classic TV characters costume ideas listed here are easy to create and are cheap. If there is any doubt, check online for what the characters looked like in the television shows. Scour thrift stores for Halloween costume clothing.
Costumes for Couples:
- Mr. and Mrs. Howell from “Gilligan’s Island”
- Lucy and Ricky from “I Love Lucy” (Fred & Ethel, too)
- June and Ward Cleaver from “Leave it to Beaver”
- Fred and Wilma Flintstone (Betty and Barney, too)
- George and Jane from “The Jetsons”
- Howard and Marian Cunningham from “Happy Days”
- Popeye and Olive Oil
- Gomez and Morticia from “The Addams Family”
- Edith and Archie from “All in the Family”
- Miss Kitty and Matt Dillon from “Gunsmoke”
- Herman and Lily from “The Munsters”
- A “Gilligan’s Island” character: Gilligan, the skipper, Ginger, MaryAnn, the professor
- A character from “MASH”: Hawkeye, Margaret (Hot Lips) Hullahand, Klinger, Radar, etc.
- Fonzie from “Happy Days”
- Lurch or Uncle Fester from “The Addams Family”
- Jed or Granny from “The Beverly Hillbillies”
- Jeannie from “I Dream of Jeannie”
- “Star Trek” characters from the original series: Captain Kirk, Spock, Lt. Uhura, Scotty, Dr. McCoy
- Daisy Duke or Boss Hogg from “The Dukes of Hazzard”
- Sergeant Joe Friday from “Dragnet”
Group Costume Ideas for Halloween
Some party guests may get together and attend the Halloween party as a cast of characters from a television show. Shown in this category are a few ideas for grouped characters.
- 3 Girlfriends could dress as “Charlie’s Angels” (the original series with Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith and Farrah Fawcett).
- A group of guys could dress as the Cartwrights from the old “Bonanza” series: Little Joe, Adam, Hoss, and Ben
- 2 Guys could dress as “The Odd Couple” characters, Felix and Oscar.
- 3 or 4 Older Women can go as “The Golden Girls” (Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia)
Adults can be as creative as kids when it comes to celebrating Halloween. Classic television shows offer grownups some great ideas for Halloween outfits suitable for costume parties.
Choose a character and search online for the TV series to get an idea for a suitable outfit. Print a photo or write down ideas for clothing and head to the nearest thrift store. Don’t forget any accessories or makeup to make the outfit look authentic. Whether one is dressing as a single television character or attending a costume party as part of a group, it’s easy to create a Halloween costume that’s cheap, stylish and unique.