Halloween parties are a great way to have a little spooky fun when celebrating the season for tricks and treats. These ideas for Halloween-themed games and activities are easy to organize, will appeal to kids and adults of all ages, and are guaranteed to make any Halloween celebration a hit!
Pin the Face on the Jack-o-Lantern is a Fun Halloween Party Game
Pin the Face on the Jack-o-Lantern is a take on the classic game of pin the tail on the donkey. This is a great family game that can be played in teams or cooperatively.
Materials Required for Pin the Face on the Jack-o-lantern
- sheet of orange poster board
- black construction paper
- sticky tack and/or pushpins
How to Play Pin the Face on the Jack-o-lantern
- To create the game, draw a large pumpkin on the orange poster board and place it on the wall using pushpins or sticky tack. Draw and cut out eyes and a mouth from the black construction paper, creating a one-piece face for a shorter game or a three-piece face for a longer game.
- Blindfold the player and hand him one piece of the jack-o-lantern face with sticky tack on the back.
- Have the player stick the piece onto the pumpkin where he thinks it should be. If using three pieces for the face, repeat for the other two pieces.
- The winner of the game is the person that creates the most accurate placement for the jack-o-lantern face.
Variations on the Game:
- Play the game in teams of three, with each person getting one piece of the face.
- Play the game cooperatively with all people getting a piece of the face (create as many extras as necessary) to see what type of funny end results can be achieved.
- Turn the player in a circle before setting them in the direction of the pumpkin. This will cause some disorientation and make the task a little more difficult.
Have Fun with the Classic Halloween Party Game Bobbing for Apples
Bobbing for apples is an old classic that is always a hit at Halloween Parties. With variations for easier and more difficult versions of the game, this makes for a fun family activity.
Materials Required for Bobbing for Apples:
- large basin, bowl or bucket full of water
- bag of apples
How to Play Bobbing for Apples:
- Fill the basin or bowl with water and empty in the bag of apples.
- Blindfold the player and have her place her hands behind her back.
- Start the clock and have the player attempt to catch an apple in her mouth, without using her hands or any other helpful tools.
- The winner of the game is the person who can catch an apple the fastest.
Variations on the Game:
- Set a timer and give each player a specific amount of time for each turn.
- Remove the blindfold to make the game a little easier for all players.
- Have adults play with a blindfold and children play without one.
- Allow young children to use their hands as helpers.
More Ideas for Halloween Party Activities
Additional ideas to help create a fun Halloween party include:
- carving jack-o-lanterns – provide pumpkins, simple pumpkin carving tools, pumpkin stencils and a ‘get messy’ zone for a fun activity suitable for all ages.
- painting jack-o-lanterns – a great alternative for children too young for pumpkin carving, or adults that get very creative with paints and brushes.
- best costume contest – always a hit at any Halloween party, the best costume contest can be split into categories such as best child costume, best scary costume, best couples costume, best funny costume, etc.