Costumes and candy are perhaps the two best parts of the Halloween holiday. Who doesn’t remember trolling the neighborhood as pirates, princesses, ghosts or goblins collecting a bag full of delicious Halloween treats? This year, you can combine both of these familiar parts of Halloween by dressing up wrapped lollipops in whimsical Halloween costumes. You can easily create pumpkins, ghosts and cats out of colored felt and a few simple sewing materials. Arrange the wrapped lollipops in costume in a large basket and serve them to the ghouls who come knocking at your door looking for treats on Halloween night.
Dressing Up Lollipop Wrappers
- Heavy paper, for template
- Orange, black and white felt
- Pinking shears
- Green ribbon or seam binding
- 1/8-inch brown ribbon
- Craft glue
- 1/8-inch white ribbon
- 1/8-inch black ribbon
- Stiff black posterboard
- White craft paper
- Black craft paper
To make a pumpkin:
- Using a compass, draw a round template, approximately 6 3/4 inches in diameter, on a piece of heavy paper. Cut out the template with scissors. Trace the circle onto a piece of orange felt and cut out the felt circle using pinking shears. To make a hold in the middle of the felt to push the lollipop stick through, fold the felt circle in half, then into quarters. Snip a tiny amount off the pointed end.
- Pass the lollipop stick through the hole. Gather the fabric at the top of the lollipop and tie a bow using a 4-inch long piece of green ribbon or seam binding. Snip off excess ribbon with pinking shears.
- Cut two small triangles from brown ribbon for the eyes and four small triangles for the mouth. Affix the triangles to the felt with craft glue.
To make a ghost and cat:
- Using a compass, draw a round template, approximately 7 3/4 inches in diameter, on a piece of heavy paper. Cut out the template with scissors. Trace the circle onto a piece of black or white felt (use black felt for cats and white felt for ghosts). Cut out the felt circle with pinking shears.
- Place the felt circle over a lollipop. Cut a 10-inch piece of contrasting color ribbon and tie it into a bow around the neck of the stick, just under the candy globe. Trim off any excess.
- Make cat ears by cutting a small triangle out of stiff black posterboard. Glue the ears in place. Make eyes by cutting small 1/4-inch-round circles out of white craft paper and adhering them to the felt. with glue. Create cat whiskers by cutting a 2-inch long piece of 1/8-inch wide white ribbon. Tie a knot in the middle of the ribbon. Carefully cut each side of the ribbon into thirds, lengthwise. Glue the nose knot to the center of the wrapped lollipop. Create ghost eyes by cutting 1/4-inch-round circles from black craft paper and adhering them to the felt with glue.